As a Trucksville, PA dentist, I provide general services, such as checkups and dental cleanings. I want to be sure that my patients’ teeth are clean and in beautiful condition. An important way that you can maintain your dental health is by practicing proper oral care at home.
Brushing your teeth is part of it, but you should also floss at least once a day. And when you do brush and floss, using the right technique is key. I’d like to tell you the proper flossing and brushing techniques to be sure that you are removing plaque and food in a gentle, thorough manner.
Last week, I explained how to brush properly. This week, we’ll focus on flossing.
First, you need to purchase waxed floss, as it will make the entire process easier and more comfortable.
1) Unspool a piece of floss that is about 18” long, and lightly wrap most of it around the middle finger of one hand. Then wrap the rest of the floss around the middle finger of the other hand.
2) Start with the upper teeth. Hold the ends of the floss tightly between the thumb and forefinger of each hand. Insert the floss gently between teeth, and slide it back and forth. Do not force the floss or snap it into place, because you could damage gums. Move the floss up and down the side of one tooth, and then the other.
3) For a fresh section, turn the floss from one finger to the other as it gets soiled.
4) To clean the lower teeth, guide the floss using your forefingers.
5) Don’t forget to clean both sides of the last teeth in each row!
6) Rinse your mouth thoroughly with water to remove loose plaque and food debris.
You should floss at least once a day to keep plaque from hardening into tartar, which causes tooth decay and gum disease.
With good dental hygiene at home and regular dental visits, you’ll enjoy a healthy smile that lasts a lifetime.
I’m Dr. James DeFinnis, and beautiful smiles are my business. Call Back Mountain Dental today at 570-763-4360 for your consultation or appointment. I offer cosmetic and general dentistry for patients in Wilkes-Barre, Scranton, Trucksville, and surrounding areas.